Holidaying in Cape Town over the festive season? Let’s be aware of the drought crisis that the city is experiencing and do our bit to conserve water. The hot spot city is currently trying to stay away from “Day Zero” – when citizens will be forced to queue for water rations.
We’ve narrowed down these top water saving tips to help you if you’ll be staying there for the holidays:
- While you wait for your shower to warm up, use buckets to catch the cold water and use it to flush your toilet.
- We all enjoy our long, hot, showers and shower singing sessions. However, it’s time to cut your shower time down to two minutes. Yup, it can be done!
- Do full loads of laundry as opposed to a small load.
- We should all know this one by now: Turn the tap off while brushing your teeth! Did you know? This can save up to 9 litres of water!
- Be sure that you are turning off taps properly and securely. If there are any leaks, report it to the hotel staff.
- Most holiday accommodations offer you freshly washed towels every day. Opt to use yours for a few days instead of requesting clean towels each day.
- If it’s yellow let it mellow – enough said.
- Did you know? It takes six times as much water to produce bottled water, than is in the actual bottle. Be sure to use a reusable water container and fill it up as you need it.
- If you will be cooking, clean your vegetables in a bowl of water instead of running them under water.
Let’s be mindful of our water usage this festive season, and help this beautiful city through their drought.
Tell us what you are doing to save water!